Monday, June 4, 2007

Totally Distressed


Quite often I am just totally stressed, but today I thought that I would touch on how to achieve a distressed feel to your cards. This happens to be a card that I created some time ago, but it is a fairly good example to illustrate my point!!! and I didn't have to stress myself out creating a new sample for this post!

Creamy Caramel, Kraft and Earth tone papers are perfect for distressing (although you can get this look to a certain degree with pastels and jewel tones). The nice thing about the caramel paper is that it will almost take on a Leathery look as soon as you sponge over with ink. Taking a "cheap" Sponge, I rubbed over the card stock with a liberal amount of ink. Then going tone on tone (caramel ink to caramel paper) I stamped the harlequin background image from the Looks like Spring set. Rather than reinking with each tap, I continued to stamp off the in order to acheive varied tones and gradations. I continued to do the same with the flower image in Not Quite Navy Ink. Adding ink to a torn edge (see the "special" tab) will also give a rugged flavour to your project. The Faux stitching was done by piercing holes very close together and using a next to navy stamp n' write marker to create the illusion of thread. A few "flicks" of the Next to Navy Ink pad to the edges of the paper (direct to paper technique) adds to the Shabby Chic look. This look is particularly effective when you wish to use some of your more feminine or floral type stamp sets for a masculine look.

All supplies with the exception of the "Prima" Flowers are from SU!!! Colours: Not Quite Navy and Creamy Caramel

Happy Stamping!

Vicki

2 comments:

  1. Vicki, I love this card! The colors are very appealing together. Great distressing tips, too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Vicki, I love the warm distressed feeling. Your colors are just wonderful along with your design and stitching. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I hope you have a wonderful day and I very much appreciate your sweet comments!

*****Vicki*****